Frequently Asked Questions

Do I qualify for FMLA?

The Family Medical Leave Act is a leave that provides employees that have worked 1,250 hours in a one-year period prior to requesting the leave with up to 12 weeks (60 workdays) of absence to care for themselves, a family member (spouse, child, parent) for a serious health condition, child care, or adoption. This protects the employee's job and benefits for up to 12 weeks.

This leave may be paid or unpaid depending on the amount of accrued leave an employee has accrued in their bank. To request a Family Medical Leave please supply the Human Resources Department with a letter from you requesting the leave, the approximate or exact amount of time you will be absent, whether the leave will be continuous or intermittent, and who the leave is for. In addition to this letter please also have your or your family member's doctor fill out and return the Certification of Health Care Provider form located under "For Staff", then under "Forms".


What kind of leave am I eligible for?

Please review your labor agreement for the various types of leaves that are available to you. If you have additional questions once you have consulted with your labor agreement please contact the Human Resource Department.


Listed offenses per MCL 28.722:

State Law limits educational institutions in hiring those individuals with any of the attached listed offenses. Click here.