Parents Please Note:
Registration packets for students attending Kindergarten during the 2018-2019 school year will be available in the office beginning February 1, 2018. Registrations are by appointment only from February 1st through February 16th. Beginning Monday, February 26th, registrations are accepted between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m. Evening registrations will be accepted during Parent/Teacher Conferences from 5:30 p.m. until 7:30 p.m. on Wednesday, March 21st and Thursday, March 22nd.
FOR THE 2018 - 2019 SCHOOL YEAR - Kindergarten requirements are as follows: Students must be 5 years of age by September 1, 2013 to enroll, unless parents request a waiver. If your child will be 5 between September 1, 2013 and December 1, 2013, please fill out the waiver form and include it in your registration packet.
The following forms are for your convenience and will help to expedite the enrollment process. The Enrollment form is fillable and can be typed and printed. Each school may have additional forms that may be needed.
We look forward to meeting all of our new ‘Cardinals'!
What you will need to register:
A parent or legal guardian must register the student. The parent or legal guardian must show photo ID such as driver's license, state ID or passport. The photo ID will be copied and parent identification will be verified with the birth certificate.
The following items must be provided by the parent/legal guardian at the time of enrollment:
- Birth Certificate- Student's original birth certificate with a raised seal as required by law.
- Immunization Records
- Hearing and Vision screening- required for Kindergarten students (free at the Macomb County Health Department. Call (586) 412-5945 for an appointment)
- Driver's License with correct address
- Proof of Residency- Two current and different utility bills (must be tied to the home) with: name of resident, address of service must match address on ID, show current date (not older than 2-3 months), no shutoff notices accepted OR Lease agreement, closing statement and deed. Residency Verification-If the parent/legal guardian is not the homeowner, the Residency Verification process must be followed: Homeowner must also be present at registration. Homeowner must provide driver's license showing current address and two current utility bills. Parent must provide a driver's license showing current address and another form of proof of address such as: bank statement, insurance papers, voter's registration card, US postal change of address or credit card statement.
- Guardianship-(if applicable) Non-Blood Relative-legal documentation obtained from Probate Court. Blood Relative-Notarized Power of Attorney drawn up by parent. Appointment required with Pupil Accounting Department to complete an Affidavit of Parent/Guardian prior to registering. Please call (586) 723-2135 to schedule an appointment.
***(Driver License is NOT acceptable Proof of Residency)***
Kindergarten News- Enrollment changes to took place over last three years:
Typically Michigan public school students could enroll in kindergarten if they were 5 years old on or before the December 1st deadline. Now, according to recent changes in Michigan law (Public Act 0198 of 2012), the entry age for Michigan students starting school will gradually change over the next three years until the changes are fully implemented in 2015-2016.
Here is a look at the changes. For the 2013-2014 school year a child can be enrolled in kindergarten if they are at least five years old on or before November 1, 2013. To enroll for the 2014-2015 school year children should be at least five years old by October 1, 2014. For the 2015-2016 school year and subsequent years thereafter, children will be required to be five years old on or before September 1st before being enrolled in school.
However it is important for parents to know that there is a waiver process in place that would allow them to enroll their child even if they do not meet these age eligibility requirements. For a waiver to be accepted the child must be 5 years of age not later than December 1 of the school year and the parent or legal guardian does the following.....
-Parents and guardians may enroll the child in kindergarten for that school year if they notify the school district in writing not later than June 1 prior to the beginning of the school year that they intend to enroll the child. They should provide reasons as to why they feel their child is ready to start kindergarten or evidence of school readiness.
-For families who become residents of the school district after June 1, they must notify the district in writing not later than August 1 prior to the beginning of the school year that they intend to enroll the child.
After receiving either of the above notifications, a school district may make a recommendation to the parent or legal guardian of the child that the child is not ready to enroll in kindergarten due to the child's age or other factors. However, regardless of such recommendation, the parent or legal guardian retains sole discretion to determine whether to enroll the child in kindergarten. Information can be obtained from the school office. Please contact the office with any questions you may have.