Welcome To Erie's Leader In Me Resource Page!
What is The Leader in Me?
“The Leader in Me is a whole-school transformation model that acts like the operating system of a computer — it improves performance of all other programs. Based on The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People®, The Leader in Me produces transformational results such as higher academic achievement, fewer discipline problems, and increased engagement among teachers and parents. Better yet, The Leader in Me equips students with the self-confidence and skills they need to thrive in the 21st century economy.”
Why Is It Different?
“Four reasons why The Leader in Me leadership model works so well when so many other reform initiatives don't.
- It embodies a different paradigm
- It works from the inside out
- It uses a common language—The 7 Habits
- The implementation is ubiquitous"
Read more at: http://www.theleaderinme.org/how-is-it-different
What Are the 7 Habits?
Habit One: Be Proactive
- I have a "Can Do" attitude.
- I choose my actions, attitudes and moods. I don't blame others. I do the right thing without being asked, even if nobody is looking.
Habit Two: Begin with the End in Mind
- I plan ahead and set goals.
- I do things that have meaning and make a difference. I am an important part of my classroom. I look for ways to be a good citizen.
Habit Three: Put First Things First
- I spend my time on things that are most important.
- This means I say no to things I should not do.
- I set priorities, make a schedule, and follow my plan. I am organized.
Habit Four: Think Win-Win
- I want everyone to be a success. I don't have to put others down to get what I want. It makes me happy to see other people happy. I like to do nice things for others. When a conflict arrives, I help brainstorm a solution. We all can win!
Habit Five: Seek First To Listen, Then to Be Understood
- I listen to other people's ideas and feelings. I try to see things from their viewpoints.
- I listen to others without interrupting. I am confident in voicing my ideas.
Habit Six: Synergize
- I value other people's strengths and learn from them. I get along well with others, even people who are different from me. I work well in groups. I seek out other people's ideas to solve problems. I know that "two heads are better than one". I am a better person when I let other people into my life and work.
Habit Seven: Sharpen the Saw
- I take care of my body by eating right, exercising, and getting sleep. I spend time with family and friends. I learn in lots of ways and lots of places
How Can I Learn More and Get Involved?
Read and Discuss At Home:
Read The Leader in Me by Stephen R. Covey or The 7 Habits of Happy Kids by Sean Covey
Ask your child about the 7 Habits
Ask your child about his/her data/leadership notebook
Talk to your child about leadership roles at home
Visit Sites On The Web:
Visit The Leader In Me's official website
Visit A.B. Combs Elementary School's website to learn about why Leader In Me was created
Visit Beaumont Elementary School's website to learn about how the program is implented at other schools
Visit the Sean Covey website for 7 Habits games and activities for kids
Visit Leader in Me recommended children's reading list website.
Visit the website to see how Leader in Me is different.
Follow Erie's Facebook page to receive updates on our journey
Read Leadership Documents:
An article in the Macomb Patch by an Erie teacher
Recommended Reading: http://www.theleaderinme.org/for/parents/recommended-children-s-reading-list/
For more in-depth articles and research on what happens when school are transformed by this process, visit http://www.theleaderinme.org/what-are-the-results/